Vegantraveller

Vegantraveller

Friday, 7 October 2011

Beginners vegan grocery list

Changing your diet and finding a new way of doing your grocery shopping can be overwhelming. I was lucky enough to have parents that started me out very early in my vegan eating habits (even if it took a few years to catch on). They made me the way that I am today and I thank them for that. We all have to start somewhere so I made a list of things that will help in your journey.

 Cupboard 
  • Whole foods brand organic canned tomatoes (salt free)
  • 1 lb bag Organic dried  pinto beans (in the bulk bins at any health food store) 
  • 1 lb bag Organic dried black beans  (in the bulk bins at any health food store)
  • Clove of garlic
  • TVP (textured vegetable protein) you can find it in the bulk bins at health food stores.
  • Canned or frozen organic corn
  • Organic virgin coconut oil 
  • Sea salt
  • Black pepper
  • Steel cut rolled oats 
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Light agave nectar 
  • Dark chocolate chips
  • Whole foods brand baking soda
  • Whole foods brand baking powder 
  • 1 lb bag of lundberg long grain brown rice 
Buying from the bulk bins when you can is a lot cheaper than buying a bag of the same food. For instance, buying a bag of lundberg organic brown rice can be about $4. Buying from the bins can save you around $2 for the same brand. Keep a look out for the name brands available in bulk, when I left I could find fantastic foods brand vegetarian chilli in bulk. All the varieties of Lundberg rice are also available in bulk (they were 3 years ago at least).  http://www.lundberg.com/
    Snacks
    •   Whole foods brand organic tortilla chips
    •    Tomato salsa
    •    Tings (vegan cheetos, I think you can only find them in America)
    •    Whole foods brand Veggie chips  
    •    Soy delicious vegan ice cream (my favorite is cookie avalanche)  
    Fresh food and drinks
    • Avocados
    • Baby carrots
    • Broccoli 
    • Organic dino kale    
    • Organic cucumbers
    •  Kombucha ( it tastes weird at first but its like a healthy soda)
    • Apples
    • Strawberries
    • Blueberries
    • Bananas
    • Baby spinach 
    • Organic tomatoes 
    • Whole foods brand natural sodas 
    • Daiya vegan cheddar and mozzarella cheese 
    Household
    • Method all purpose cleaner
    • Method glass cleaner
    • Whole foods brand liquid dish soap
    • Whole foods brand laundry detergent
    • Whole foods brand tumble dryer sheets
    • Seventh generation Disinfecting Bathroom Cleaner
    • Seventh generation disinfecting wipes
      Personal products
      • Natracare organic tampons and pads 
      • Seventh generation tampons and pads 
      • Moon cup ( I haven't used this yet, but its worth mentioning)  
      • Reusable pads  
      • Kiss my face pure olive oil soap
      • Nature's gate shampoo and conditioner 
      • Nature's gate toothpaste (Whitening gel natural toothpaste is my favorite) 
      • Tom's of Maine deodorant and toothpaste   
      List of all the product websites

      http://wholefoodsmarket.com
      http://www.natracare.com/Default.aspx?CultureId=en-GB
      http://www.mooncup.co.uk/
      http://www.gladrags.com/c-1-gladrags-pad-kits.aspx
      http://www.natures-gate.com/
      http://www.tomsofmaine.com/home

      I know Whole Foods gets a bad rep for being fancy and overly priced, but I always buy their own 365 brand. Its about a dollar cheaper than the name brands and to me it tastes the same, for quality organic food. They also have weekly deals that you can watch out for too, its not all bad.

      A lot of mainstream stores like Target and Wal-mart carry organic foods now and a lot of the household products that I mentioned if you aren't near a Whole Foods. A lot of grocery stores also have a natural food section in the store and a section in the frozen foods aisle. I haven't been to them but I've heard good things.

      This is turned out to be geared for Americans so I'll make another post for UK. My husband and I have found that many grocery stores have their own line of vegan eco friendly products and accidentally vegan food.


        No comments:

        Post a Comment